If you like Japanese food,Tempura is the best for you. It’s quick and an easy recipe.Tempura is a tasty fried food that is not greasy, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. It is a sort of fritter that the most common and popular kind is made with shrimp or prawns as the most common ingredient but I also used squid, oysters, green pepper, eggplant, sweet potato,carrots, shitake mushrooms, lotus roots, broccoli just to name a few.There were two ways of cooking Tempura- I preferred this one coated with batter and the other one is just a natural uncoated.
Preparation time: less than 20 minutes
Total cooking time:15 minutes
10 fresh black tiger prawns
All purpose flour
1 pack Japanese bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 cup of cold water
I woke up very early to buy these black tiger prawns in the market. It’s so fresh and body of the prawns is firm. Just as good for my recipe today!
Everything is ready. Mix the all purpose flour with salt and pepper to taste. You can also use Ginisa mix.
1. After shelling the prawns, wash and dry thoroughly. Carefully coat each prawn in the all purpose flour, press , and shake off the excess.
2. Dip prawn in egg, one after the other.
3. Back again, Coat the stuffed prawns in the Japanese bread crumbs.
4. Shaking off the excess.
5. Coating is done. It looks like this. Now, ready to cook.
6. Fill deep saucepan or fryer at least three-quarters full of cooking oil.
7. Deep-fry prawns in hot oil until golden brown and crisp. Add prawns in batches into the pan and cook for 4 minutes. After that, Drain on paper towels.
8. Serve hot with warmed sauce.
Serve immediately while still hot and crisp. It’s light and so yummy!
Dip hot tempura into the sauce and eat.
Sauce is prepared by mixing shoya, dashi (fish broth or bouillon) sugar. Serve sauce in separate bowls together with separate condiment dishes of grated radish and ginger.